Apr 9, 2008

Great Expectations

I'm all out of ideas. I think I've used up all the snarky comments in me, and it's only been a week. So from now on, all my posts will begin with "Today I woke up and..."

Today I woke up refreshed from a great night's sleep, to find that my kids had already gotten themselves dressed, fed, and cleaned up. They were busy mopping the kitchen floor when I came in. "Good morning, Mother," they said, "we were just trying to help you with some cleaning, and after this we plan on reading quietly in our rooms for an hour. Would you like us to make you breakfast and bring it to you in bed?"


ahhhhh, sorry, had to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes. I warned you there would be some bluffing on this blog. So I won't tell you all the excruciating details of my actual morning, but I will say that at some point I was reminded of a great story a friend in California once told me. Her son came up to her one day (he was probably 5 or 6 at the time) and said, "Mom, I feel great about myself today." When she asked him why, he replied, "Because I'm not dead!"

I started thinking about that little boy and how happy he was, and suddenly it seemed so obvious how great my day was really going. I mean, I wasn't dead right? So I stopped everything right there and climbed back in bed for a nap. It's amazing what lowering your expectations can do.


No comments: