Around dinner time today, Mark noticed a strong smell coming from our bedroom, like an electrical fire. We checked all the outlets and electronics, but couldn't figure it out. I was getting ready to feed the kids (a delicious meal brought to us by our friend Sara), when Mark comes in and tells me that he called the fire department about the smell. "Do you mean you called 911?" I asked, and just then we heard the sirens and looked out the front window to see a firetruck pull up with lights flashing. Talk about humiliating! We felt especially silly when 2 firemen hop out in their full fire-fighting gear, and we have to tell them, "um, we thought we smelled something burning..." They couldn't figure out what it was either, but in their useful public servant way, advised us to install smoke detectors in each bedroom.
The bad news is we are now pretty sure the smell was our Mac getting fried. The good news is that is appears it can be fixed, might even be under warranty, and hopefully hasn't damaged our hard drive. It will be in the shop for a few days, and in the meantime, it has all our pictures on it, so I won't be able to post the hundreds of pictures of Nate sleeping (sorry Grandmas). Actually, who am I kidding? This is our third child; we've taken about 3. Hopefully we'll take some more pictures of this kid before he moves out of the house. But take my word for it- he sure is cute.